|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Title||William McKinley Monument|
|Photographer||Wm. B. Owens Photography|
|Description||Black-and-white photographic print of the "William McKinley Monument" on the Ohio Statehouse grounds.|
|Year Range from||1960|
|Year Range to||1966|
|Caption||Photograph of the "William McKinley Monument"|
Erected in 1906, the McKinley Monument honors Canton native, William McKinley, former Ohio governor and 25th president of the United States. Five years earlier, an anarchist assassin shot President McKinley at the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo; McKinley died eight days later.
The prominent New York sculptor, H.A. MacNeil, designed the sweeping semi-circular monument featuring an elevated, life-size figure of McKinley flanked by two groups of figures representing Peace (the quick execution and resolution of the Spanish-American War) and Prosperity (the economic recovery from the Panic of 1893)-two of the president's greatest accomplishments.
An estimated 50,000 people attended dedication ceremony, including Alice Roosevelt Longworth, daughter of Theodore Roosevelt-McKinley's presidential successor. An American celebrity of her time, Mrs. Longworth's presence created pandemonium in the crowd, resulting in injuries to several onlookers.
Located on the west side of Capitol Square along High Street, the monument's location was reportedly chosen because each day on his way to work, Governor McKinley turned and waved to his invalid wife who lived at the Neil House across the street from the Statehouse.
This photograph was found in the Capitol Square Review and Advisory Board's main office in the Ohio Statehouse.
The Capitol Square Review and Advisory Board took over the care of the Statehouse and its collections in 1988.
|Print size||8-1/8" x 10"|
MacNeil, H. A. (Hermon Atkins), 1866-1947
McKinley, William, 1843-1901
Monuments & memorials