|Title||Portrait of Andrew Harris|
|Description||Half-length portrait of Andrew Harris, Ohio's 44th governor, serving from 1906 to 1909. He served out the term of Governor John M. Pattison who died in office. Harris wears a dark coat with a white shirt and a multi-color tie. He has a red pin in his proper left lapel. He has reddish-brown hair and a beard.|
|Artist||Uhl, Silas Jerome, 1841-1916|
Andrew L. Harris was born in Butler County, Ohio, on November 17, 1835, to former teacher and farmer Benjamin Harris and Nancy Lintner Harris. In 1838, the Harrises moved to Preble County. Harris attended public schools before enrolling at Miami University in 1857. He graduated in 1860 and began to read the law in the office of Thompson and Harris in Eaton, Ohio.
When the American Civil War began in April 1861, Harris immediately enlisted as a private. He served until he was mustered out on January 15, 1865. During those years, Harris participated in eighteen battles. He was wounded on two occasions, leaving his right arm permanently disabled. By the time that he left the service, Harris had risen to the rank of colonel, although his dedicated service was recognized in 1866 when he was brevetted brigadier general.
Harris returned to his study of the law after he left the military. He was admitted to the Ohio Bar in April 1865 and opened his practice in Eaton. In October 1865, Harris married Caroline Conger, the daughter of a local farmer. Harris formed a law partnership with Robert Miller in Eaton that lasted from 1866 until 1876.
Harris first entered politics in 1866, when he was elected to represent Preble and Montgomery counties in Ohio's General Assembly. Harris was affiliated with the Republican Party. In 1875, he was elected to the first of two terms as probate judge of Preble County. After serving the second term, Harris decided to retire from politics and returned to his farm.
Although Harris had intended to retire from politics, that retirement was short-lived. In 1885, Harris was elected to a term in the state house of representatives, winning reelection in 1887. He became a well-respected figure within Ohio's Republican Party. This respect was reflected by his election as lieutenant governor in 1891 and again in 1893, when William McKinley was governor. After McKinley became president, he appointed Harris to the federal commission on trusts, a position that he held from 1898 to 1902.
Once again Harris attempted to retire from public life in 1902, returning to his farm in Preble County. In 1905, the Republican Party asked Harris to run for lieutenant governor. Although Democrat John M. Pattison was elected governor, Harris was elected lieutenant governor. Governor Pattison died while in office on June 18, 1906, and Harris then became Ohio's forty-fourth governor.
During Harris's administration, a number of Progressive reforms were enacted. Ohio passed its first pure food and drug law, created a bureau of vital statistics, and banned corporations from using money to influence politics. Harris had supported passage of legislation that encouraged the spread of Prohibition across the state, thus earning him a number of enemies. Pattison's term was scheduled to last for three years because of changes in the electoral laws, which meant that the next elections were not held until 1909. Harris ran unsuccessfully for reelection in 1909, in large part because of opposition from those who were against Prohibition.
Harris once again returned to his farm in Preble County after the election in 1909. He remained there until his death from heart problems on September 13, 1915.
Andrew Harris, 1835-1915
Uhl, Silas Jerome, 1841-1916
|Signed Name||"10-12-13. . .S. Jerome Uhl"|
|Sig Loc||Upper left|
|Image size||36" x 28"|
|Frame size||40-1/2" x 32-1/2"|
|Frame desc||Twentieth century molded gilt frame with carved beaded liner|
In 1867, the Ohio General Assembly passed a joint resolution relative to the governors of Ohio. The legislators resolved that "the secretary of state, on the first Monday of January next, whether the portraits of the governors of Ohio, state and territorial, can be procured, and if so, whether original portraits or copies, and the probable expense of procuring such portraits for the governor's office."
In the 1910 Annual Ohio Auditor's Report there is an entry on December 23, 1909 paying S. Jerome Uhl $500 for painting the portrait of Governor Harris.
The Capitol Square Review and Advisory Board took over the care of the Statehouse and its collections in 1988.
Ohio Governor's Portraits
|Collection||Statehouse Artwork Collection/Governors' Portraits|