|Title||The Signing of the Treaty of Greene Ville painting|
Large-scale oil-on-canvas painting of the signing of the Treaty of Greene Ville. The painting is noted for its attention to detail in every aspect such as uniform colors, wrist bands, tattooing, tobacco pouches, copper ware, furniture, etc. The background is made up of a replica of Wayne's headquarters, blockhouses, bastions, palisades, covered wagons, bronze cannons, camp fire and other features. There is a fifteen-star American flag at center, correct to the period.
The man in the right forefront wearing a military uniform is Major General Anthony Wayne who was named Commander of the United States Army of the Northwest after Arthur St. Clair's defeat at the Battle of the Wabash. The man in the left forefront extending a wampum belt is Little Turtle, a Miami Chief who declared at the signing, "I am the last to sign it, and I will be the last to break it." The man at center in the green uniform is William Wells who was captured by Miami Indians when he was eleven years old. He served as an interpreter at the Treaty negotiations and was Little Turtle's son-in-law. The man standing on the far right is Lieutenant William Henry Harrison (later President) who served as aide-de-camp to Major General Wayne. The man standing to the left of Harrison is Willliam Clark, who fought at the Battle of Fallen Timbers with Meriwether Lewis, later his colleague in the Lewis and Clark expedition.
Others in the painting include Meriwether Lewis, a friend of, and private secretary to, President Thomas Jefferson; Issac Zane, another Treaty interpreter and adopted son of Tarhe; the Wyandot Chief Tarhe, the head of all tribes engaged in the war against the United States ended by the Treaty; Shawnee Chief Blue Jacket, leader of the Indian forces at the Battle of Fallen Timbers; Black Hoof, one of the principal Shawnee chiefs; Delaware War Captain Buckongehelas; Wyandot Chief Leatherlips; Chippewa Chief Bad Bird; Potawatomi Chief White Pigeon and Potawatomi Chief The Sun. Reverend David Jones served as the army chaplain at the time of the signing of the Treaty; Henry DeButts acted as first aide-de-camp to General Wayne and Secretary at the Treaty negotiations; and John Mills, Adjutant General and Inspector of the Army.
The Treaty of Greene Ville was signed on August 3, 1795 by General Anthony Wayne, representing the U.S. government and representatives of the twelve Native American tribes whose people had lived in what is now Ohio. By signing the Treaty the twelve tribes ceded a large portion of their land in Ohio to Anglo-American settlers.
After the signing of the Treaty of Greene Ville, Anthony Wayne gave each chief a bronze medal symbolizing peace with the United States. Replicas of the two sides of the six-inch bronze medal have been carved on the sides of the painting's frame. There is also a six-foot American eagle at the top. The gold-leaf frame is original and was made by Azeglio Pancani of New York at the recommendation of the artist, Howard Chandler Christy.
|Artist||Christy, Howard Chandler, 1873-1952|
Bad Bird, Chippewa Chief
Black Hoof, Shawnee Chief
Blue Jacket, b. ca. 1752
Buckongehelas, Delaware War Captain
Clark, William, 1770-1838
Harrison, William Henry, 1773-1841
Jones, David, 1736-1820
Leatherlips, Wyandot Chief, 1747?-1810
Lewis, Meriwether, 1774-1809
Little Turtle, Miami Chief, 1747?-1812
Tarhe, Wyandot Chief, 1742-1818
The Sun, Potawatomi Chief
Wayne, Anthony, 1745-1796
Wells, William, 1770-1812
White Pigeon, Potawatomi Chief
Zane, Isaac, 1753-1816
|Signed Name||Howard Chandler Christy 1945|
|Sig Loc||Lower right|
|Frame size||22 feet, nine inches x 17 feet|
|Frame desc||English poplar covered with gold leaf.|
In January, 1945, the Ohio General Assembly authorized the Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society (currently the Ohio History Connection) to secure a painting of the Signing of the Treaty of Greene Ville, instructing that Howard Chandler Christy or some other eminent Ohio artist be commissioned. Christy was chosen to paint the picture. The painting was completed in July and unveiled at Greenville, Ohio, on August 3, 1945.
The painting currently hangs in the east stairway of the Ohio Statehouse.
The Capitol Square Review and Advisory Board took over the care of the Statehouse and its collections in 1988.
Fort Greene Ville
|Collection||Statehouse Artwork Collection|